Thursday, May 25, 2017

Streaming Netflix content


I have been a Netflix subscriber since 2006. That was about a year after they started. I loved renting DVDs from them because I did not have to watch all of them at one time quickly to avoid a fee. I watched a lot of movies I had missed over many years with my Netflix subscription.

When I moved to this nursing home, I continued my subscription. But in 2013 financial problems occurred and I had to cut costs. I dropped the DVD rental program and instead had the $8.97 streaming service. My biggest problem is not being able to find what I want to watch. Since Netflix has their own content, there are not as many other TV shows and blockbuster movies available. Although, there are some. However, other services like Hulu and Hulu plus have acquired those for their service. But Netflix has a few classic movies and old musicals..

Even though I am a book reader, I decided to watch Netflix documentaries to see what I could learn. I also might be able to read books about subjects I discover on Netflix. So, I put my reading down and decided to take several weeks to be entertained by Netflix. I thought I would need that long to discover what type of content they have each month, and how much it changes from month to month.

I think it would be great if subscribers could put in requests for commercial movies they would like to see. Then Netflix would have a different method, other than the rating system, to determine what movies their customers like.

Netflix has produced a good bit of their own content which is similar to network and cable TV offerings. Although, they may cover subjects that are not covered in movies released to theaters.

The only thing that concerns me is watching TV, or Netflix is very passive. I feel like I'm just sitting there watching as though I'm in a trance. When I read a book, I have to construct things (make pictures) in my head. On Netflix it's all done for me.

I can certainly see why Netflix subscribers binge watch. I started watching a new series and though I have not watched every one of them – all at once. I can't wait to get back to see the next installment. It reminds me of my old soap opera addiction.

After so many years living in nursing homes and watching TV, three years ago I decided to give it up in order to read more books. Since I have a laptop, I can now read digital books. I can find many online which are free. So far the only TV I see are the links provided in news articles, and those network and cable TV shows available on YouTube.

But since I went to stay current I have to keep up with the art that Netflix creates or acquires. Knowing what's out there and available is important to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment