Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Getting used to my gray and other uncolored new hair


I have been letting my hair grow out to its natural color for almost a year. It was last colored on June 7, 2016. I covered my medium brown and 50% gray roots with light blonde hair color.

Since this nursing home has no beauty salon, I have a difficult time getting my hair colored. Plus, if I have to pay salon prices for coloring, it is expensive. I don't want to pay the big ticket price. If we can use box color routinely, I might still be doing it. But, I decided it would be better just to have my natural hair color.

I checked some YouTube videos and discovered growing out a full head of uncolored hair takes a while. I did not bleach my hair like some do. I also did not got it really short. Even though I saw some women on YouTube endeavor to strategically cover their gray with color and also let it grow out, I didn't want to try anything as intricate or expensive looking as that.

The outstanding positive is I no longer have that gray roots. Now I have salt-and-pepper hair. Surprisingly to me, it's more pepper than salt.

The uncolored hair is more becoming and not harsh. But I had to learn how to take care of it. I use the purple shampoo to keep it from yellowing once a week. I also make sure I buy styling products that have no color so they will not stain the lighter part of my hair.

I really thought by now I would have mostly uncolored hair. But I still have about 1 1/2 inches on the ends which are blonde. I get asked all the time if I've had my hair colored. I so badly want to say, "It's hombre, like the millennials!" But, I never do.

One thing about living at a nursing home I'm not able to be in front of a huge mirror every morning. So I don't see every flaw and extra gray hair.

Not seeing my newly uncolored hair every day makes it sort of ethereal. Looking at it some days I wonder what the styling possibilities would be. I guess I should have someone part off my hair to see if I have any lighter areas. But it looks pretty mixed to me.

I think I should have a full head of uncolored hair by Christmas. If not, definitely by spring 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment