Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Using the Hoyer for a month tomorrow


I am in the process of being disciplined, and encouraged NOT to show my restoration. On April 26 I bent and straightened my knees twice (while standing to transfer)  and Roberta/nurse manager said I had to use the Hoyer for ALL TRANSFERS. But, I never thought almost a month later I would still be using it.

I felt like I was being put into a sling prison. That Hoyer keeps your captive and there is very little free will movement. I have to be trussed up like a turkey in order to be lifted from place to place. Some of the aides have been lifted in a Hoyer and know that it is not very comfortable. It also can make me a bit dizzy which is something I never considered.

This Hoyer is large because it has the scales. It's difficult to move and clumsy in half of a semi private room. The aides at Somerset tried it a couple of times with the exact same lift – and decided not to use it. They preferred the smaller manual lift.

But this is the only lift they have. I'm surprised to find out that different aides use the Hoyer lift differently. Some help pull me back more in the shower chair seat by pulling on the pad. Some assist me to bend my knee. But there are others who pay no attention and forget that my right leg is just hanging. It is very easy for it to hit parts of the lift.

One of the aides said last week they usually just unhook the bottom two straps on the Hoyer pad when they put a resident in bed to pull up their pants. I was surprised because I suggested that the very first day in the aides acted like they had never done it that way. But, this week JA/aide told a newer aide they could not use the quicker method to pull up my pants because if they hurt me, I would complain. She said that I was quite a complainer.

I wanted so badly to say that some aides are more rough than others. But I didn't.

Tomorrow is the day of the meeting to see if the Hoyer can be discontinued – and some other things.

Tonight I am nervous and I wonder what will happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment