Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Hot packs for stiffness and pain


I told Ms. L that I had not had hot packs since 1978. That seems like a very long time but that's the last time I can member getting them with any degree of regularity. Back then, I was getting therapy at the hospital in Lancaster, and they relaxed my shoulders with hot packs. It started in 1977 and ended in 1978. Then Ms. L and Mr. A assisted me to stand using the gait belt. Then they assisted me to get into my shower chair to go to the bathroom.

I told them I was really grateful that they helped me. But, I did wait quite a long time for them to get up to the floor. Ms. L had told me she would help me transfer to the shower chair. So I was going to hold her to it.

Then afterwards I stood to get back into my power chair. Ms. L brought two hot packs one I sat on to relax my hip and thigh, and another was strapped around my knee. The warmth felt wonderful.

I told her I was afraid that I would get burned. But she stayed here and we talked. I think the hot packs were on about 15 minutes. I told her a bit about my first physical therapist Lois who worked for my orthopedic surgeon. I told her Lois made me take off my clothing except for underpants and a bra, so she could see my muscle tone. I told Ms. L I was mortified having to walk so exposed in front of somebody I had just met.

I told her how Lois and the other staff took books out from the Columbus Metropolitan Library and how I made them crafts. I told her I read books on philosophy and a lot of other subjects during those years of intense therapy.

I told her about my dad's history in Lancaster Ohio and how the business which is now Memac Industries got started. I asked if she had heard about the Lancaster Ohio book "Glass House" by Brian Alexander. She said she did not know there was a book. I told her since I am from there, I enjoyed reading it.

That she took the hot packs off and exercised my right leg, thigh and hip some. After she took the heat off, it was so easy to bend my leg. It was almost unbelievable. The hot pack on my knee made it feel so much better also.

Then Ms. L set me up at the desktop. I think that's the first time a therapy staffer here has set me up. Although, Ms. A, who used to work here, might have done it because she was very helpful.

It was a much more productive day. But, there is a bit of soreness in my right hip, thigh, and knee.

I'm going to look for a safe warming device that I can use to relax my muscles. Even a hot water bottle would be better than not having anything to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment