Sunday, May 28, 2017

More than a bad day


Today was not good. First of all, a night shift aide could not get me pulled back in the shower chair straight enough. Her back may have been hurting. But, I still had to stay crooked in the chair because there is no way to easily fix the mistake once it's made. The aides just think I'm okay. I think they think my wash up will not take that long, and they think I can just wait to get comfortable. But I was really in pain. I was crying and asking for help. Then, they went out and left me.

I put the call light on hoping my aide would come in and help me get situated better. But she didn't until 15 or 20 minutes later. By then I was beside myself with cramps in my legs.

Then, the aide I had was new at my a.m. care. She's done evening care – just not morning. After my earlier problem, this was not the morning to be challenged with training someone.

There were four aides who came in my room right before 7 AM to Hoyer me up. I thought they could do it right the first time.

Instead, my night shift aide could not pull me back far enough in the shower chair. So I was sitting crooked in it. There was nothing that could be done except Hoyer me again which would be involved. So, I was washed up being crooked and uncomfortable I know I was rude to the aide and I did not mean to be. I was in pain and could not fix it. They would not let me stand to adjust myself. Knowing I cannot stand to relieve pressure on my bottom is scary.

The aide is not fast and did not know my routine. So, it was slow going, and she could not make up time. Me trying to hurry her didn't help.

She got me to breakfast. Breakfast was slow like the whole day.

After breakfast my training day shift aide could not pull me back far enough into the shower chair either. Then I wondered why they even let her try.. I wished they had asked the nurse to help just to be there to run the Hoyer. It just makes me feel so badly. It would've been better if I had been quiet. But I didn't know if I could stand the discomfort.

My teeth got brushed and I got ready but the nurses and aides thought I was being difficult which caused it to take too long. They suggested I should go back to bed – sort of like a timeout. I begged them not to. Passing time with nothing to do is punishment for me.

Maybe the nurse reneged, or someone else did on "the going back to bed" plan. A more familiar aide set me up at my desktop PC.

No, I didn't get much done. I did document what happened today. I don't know that it will help anything. But maybe the next time I have what I think is an awful day, I can look at it and gain some perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment