Saturday, May 20, 2017

Preparing for a care conference


I'm having a care conference next week about though Hoyer lift issue. L the ombudsman wanted me to do it earlier this month, but I did not think it was necessary. After all, I just had a care conference on April 6 and I do not think we should need to have another.

L/ombudsman sent me a list of questions earlier this week to answer. They were topics I have been dealing with for the past few months and ones that normally pop up with me. I composed all the answers and sent them to her through her secure email account. I did not have a copy since I cannot send myself copies of sent emails or forwarded emails from that secure email.

When I went there to cut and paste a copy to a word processor, I realized that was not a complete copy of my answers in my reply email.. At first I thought my reply was cut off, because I used too many words. Then I realized that I probably did not cut and paste all of the text into the email. My speech recognition software made an error, or I did.

So I went about re-creating that questionnaire. I need to send it to my friend R who will be attending the care conference with me. I also need to send it to my sister J, the ombudsman and my friend B. I am sending copies to make sure the supportive folks in my life realize what is going on.

There are a lot of issues involved in getting care in a nursing home. Sometimes I think because I can make my own decisions, at least most of them, that things should run smoothly. But I do have to go through aides, nurses, nurse managers, ancillary health professionals who come to the nursing home to provide services, and healthcare professionals and doctors outside the facility. Dealing with all of that can be somewhat complex. I really don't think there's anything that compares to it in the outside world. In a nursing home there are so many layers of bureaucracy.

I also have other issues. I need lighter weight clothing put in my closet. But, so far, housekeeping has not done it. I first put a note up requesting it on April 25. But, housekeeping can't seem to get to it. I had to end up ordering two pairs of lighter weight slacks online which have already been delivered here, but not to me yet. I wanted to make sure I would not be too hot because temperatures were in the 80s last week. I am frequently criticized for ordering clothing. But I need something to wear when it's in the 80s. There are mock turtleneck tops still in my closet.

Any medical equipment I have such as: braces, splints, and any pending appliances need to be addressed at the care conference.

I've also been getting therapy for almost a month I need to find out how long that will continue.

It's a lot to think about and a lot to plan for. Typical, every three month care conferences run about 15 minutes – which is not much time.

I wonder how much time I will have Wednesday to go over my 15, or so, topic agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment