Thursday, August 31, 2017

Adjusting and learning about this facility


After my a.m. care, I decided to head down the hall to see what this nursing home is like at 9 AM. I found my nurse down the hall passing medicine. But she told me some of my meds are not in yet. But she's working on it.

We had a nice little conversation while I was waiting for her. They use laptops here to record their med pass. The aides have several stations where they use touchscreens to do their books. It is interesting watching them do it because it's very interactive. It's not like using a keyboard. I really had no idea what type of system they used site is one to do their documentation. It was kind of fun to watch.

For a while I just went down the hall. I would talk with nurses and other members of the team as they moved around the building. Then I rode to the end of the other wing. I sat there for a while looking out the window. All of a sudden I felt disoriented, I've done this at two different nursing homes. I took off by myself, rode around, and at some point felt like I was lost. Somehow, I remembered that all I had to do is turn and go back to the nurses station which is in the center of things.

Before lunch Anna/admissions offered to take me outside to get some fresh air. I told her that was the thing I missed most at my former facility. I seldom got out on the non-outing day. It's lovely around here and she said there are lots of deer. They have a big salt lick near a gazebo in the wooded area. She said to frequently look out the windows and full-length doors because deer are visible often.

Later as I made another pass from the end of the hall where my room is and headed to the other wing's glass door I saw an older fawn run quickly  past the door.

I got to meet the nurse practitioner and he did a bit of an exam. I also met the dietary manager and she told me about the menu. I'm on a regular diet. They don't have 1500 or 1600 calorie diets here. She told me they monitor my weight. I said I want to keep track of what I eat. So I will need to plan to eat less of the meal. I do not need to eat over 2000 calories a day.

Then I went down to the dining room to eat lunch I really enjoyed talking with Jordan/aide who fed me lunch. She told me the activities here. I learned how the beauty shop queue works.

Then this afternoon I told the occupational therapist that my medical bed looks strange. The bed was higher at the bottom then it was at the top, which I know shouldn't happen. I thought they misplaced a motor driveshaft when the bed was put together. One of the maintenance men, took a look, figured it out, and put the driveshaft in the right spot, and it's working fine again.

I'm surprised and glad that I've had to push – to keep writing these blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment