Saturday, August 26, 2017

Day 4 – after hearing decision


Today, the fact that I am moving in a few days, hit me. It was really hard to sit at my desktop computer trying to accomplish something, when I think I should be going through my things. However, the staff are supposed to help me on Monday and Tuesday, says Roberta/nurse manager.

In fact, on this Saturday, we had a "no call, no-show". So, we only had two aides instead of the usual three. A night shift aide stayed until about 9 AM to get the residents through breakfast. Then she left.

I tried to be "all calm" about the whole thing. I really hate the staffing here. But I hated the staffing at my previous nursing home also. At the end of summer, nursing home aides do not want to work. So, sometimes they call off. We had an aide working here who also worked at another nursing home. She only could get part-time hours there, so she worked here to fill in her schedule. However, she was clear that this facility paid less. I always wondered if that was true. I thought she should have just called in and quit. It's never nice to leave anyone, especially coworkers, hanging.

I didn't really work on my lists. I checked to see what type of mattress is in the basement. It's a foam hospital bed mattress that probably cost between $70 and $100, and I got it free supposedly. I have to figure out what to do with it, or possibly sell it.

Then, I looked at four new casters for my shower chair. I found a different style and four of them cost approximately $60. I don't know if they will work with this shower chair or not. But they are the same ones I bought for a previous shower chair I had when I came here. They are rubber and rolled well enough.

I'm also not feeling well. It started the night of the nightmare with chills and dizziness. Yesterday, my throat was scratchy. I took zinc lozenges for it because they really help a sore throat. Some say they shorten the length of a cold also.

But, I can tell I'm kind of dragging. I've had pneumonia several times in August, and I'm concerned about that right now. I emailed my sister and she told me "not to get sick". I'm going to try. But, there isn't much I can do other than, try to eat some, drink fluids, and take the zinc.

I think my immunity was compromised as soon as I read the hearing officer's decision on Tuesday in an email. I don't know what I could have done to prevent that. I had to read it. I could not ignore it.

So, tonight I'm going to take it easy and try to entertain myself with something interesting online. That may get my mind off the upcoming move, at least for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment