Friday, August 4, 2017

Things are breaking


Things which I need in my life, are breaking. For instance, my shower chair. The casters are getting rusty, and it's getting difficult to roll. It is only a little over two years old. But, without proper cleaning and maintenance things just don't do well. It's so hard to move, I'm freight the left rear caster is going to follow. Then, the chair will be unusable until new casters are ordered.

I used to buy my shower chair casters. At least I think I did. I had another shower chair at my previous facility and those casters lasted longer. Either that, or the nursing home replaced them and said nothing to me. I bought new casters in 2010 and asked the maintenance man there to put them on. I didn't realize until they were on that I received the wrong casters. The maintenance man never told me they were different from the casters which were on it. When I saw them, I was surprised. I was sent rubber casters. They're dangerous in nursing homes because rubber causes static which could make resident oxygen ignite..

The other broken thing is my over three year old black filing cabinet. They are not sturdy enough for nursing home use. The casters on the bottom are cheap and have broken off. The maintenance guy could not fix them. He put a 2 x 4 under the two drawer filing cabinet. That way the cabinet can't tip and the bottom won't get wet when the floor is mopped.

My sister emailed a year ago that Amazon sells little wheeled carts to put under heavy items, like portable washing machines. It looks like it will work under my black filing cabinet. But, the front of the black filing cabinet is sheet-metal and bunged up. It has been bumped by my power chair too much, when the aides park it. The drawers have a few bumps, and the top of the drawer sticks. Then, someone has to beat on it with something to unstick it.

Today, I looked for two drawer rolling, locking filing cabinets. I found some that were reasonably priced. The problem is the price is low enough that I'm sure they'll be poorly made. So I'm trying to decide what to do. I could order a stand with more drawers that are not as deep. That might mean they would be a little bit more sturdy. Since I don't put files in my filing cabinet anyway, drawers might be better.

I also discovered that there is a wheeled cart sold that would easily fit under a filing cabinet. The wheels are a bit better but it costs $69. Buying the filing cabinet and the wheeled cart will automatically UP THE PRICE. But I don't know if the two together would be safe.

I don't know whether to order a new two drawer locking filing cabinet with wheels – like I've had before. Or, order one without wheels and buy a furniture mover cart to go under it.

It's definitely a dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment