Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Preparing for the Hearing


There's no way to prepare for an assault on your behavior and personality. The cause for involuntary discharge is because the safety of other residents of the facility is in danger.

I know I have never tried to hurt anyone. I made circles in the front lobby a couple of weeks ago, out of frustration, and everyone knows that. The administrator said some residents fear me. But I've seen no fear in any resident's eyes. But, there might be one of two of them who might be afraid of my power chair. But I go pretty slowly in the hallways.

So, I started writing a draft of the Request for Hearing letter that I have to send to the Department of Health. I have ten days to send it. It's already completed and I've emailed a draft to my sister and a friend for them to review for changes..

I'm also trying to make contacts with representatives of the Developmental Disabilities Council in my state. Since I was injured before the age of twenty-two, I'm considered developmentally disabled. I want to reach out to them to protect my rights.

The ombudsman was here today to discuss strategy. She asked if I wanted to move. I told her I did not want to stay, if management and staff wanted me to leave. Although, I did tell her that I did not feel I had done anything to endanger other residents here.

My sister and I had an end of the day discussion as we have had over the last several days. We sort of wish we could make some sense of this.

I asked the ombudsman if this is happening to anyone else. She told me she has many 30 Day Notices on her desk. She said she has no idea why there are so many right now.

The ombudsman was late getting here this afternoon which gave me pause. I actually skipped lunch to make sure that I was available for her. I also wanted to do necessary research and to write letters to other advocates in my state to try to get some perspective from them.

I'm a bit calmer than yesterday. I wonder if I can hold up to all this.

Getting a 30 Day Notice of Involuntary Discharge made me feel quite small. I just don't know what my personality has to do with healthcare. They know everyone has a right to dissent, as long as others are not hurt. This is America after all and that's what we are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment