Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Day 7 – after hearing decision – a busy day


The day before a move is always strange. There is anticipation and fear. I always hoped I had everything together as I needed it to be. And yet, I always knew that if I thought so, I was fooling myself.

At midmorning we started going through the remainder of the stuff – way too much of it – that was still in the basement. I tried to pare down the stored clothing as much as I could. I think much of it I had really no intention of ever wearing. I just did not want to donate it to the nursing home. The reason was: I did not want to see gifts and clothing I bought because I thought it was cute being worn by another resident. I know that silly but not to me. It was okay to get rid of it when I knew I would not be here to see someone elsewhere it.

The one good, surprising thing this morning was that the housekeeper who has been helping me found my medical bed crank in the basement. That was divine Providence definitely. Early this morning we had a brief power failure. They could not adjust my medical bed because there was no power. Without a crank, I had to lie right where I was. Now, at least, I will have a crank to take with me.

After lunch, my sister showed up and surprised me. She and I started going through already sorted through clothing with a vengeance. I told her to find a reason to donate clothing items. She got rid of a lot of things that I wanted to get rid of yesterday. We took a brief break and she took those items and donated them to a nearby church thrift shop.

When she returned, she went through the clothing in my closet. I got rid of things that were not up to par, slightly worn or stained and it all got donated. We got everything out of the closet except what .I'm wearing tomorrow. I got rid of three pairs of shoes. I also got rid of some quite worn washcloths I have for my personal use.

Then, my sister helped me have a little respite of hummus and chips and a salad with some chicken. I didn't eat much because the cold is making it rough to enjoy food because I'm stuffed up. But it was nice to eat something different with family.

There is still lots to do. Everything in my white cabinet has to be boxed to go to the other nursing home. But, I know how to prioritize and can put most of the things I use every day together easily. I always keep extra bags and totes (cloth ones). So, I'm hoping it will be fairly easy. If I'm allowed to observe the packing, I can get rid of things that I no longer need or want, which will make it easier on those doing the moving.

On the sly, I might even be able to give out some little niceties to my favorite staff, when my not so favorite ones aren't looking.

Ironically, getting rid of things has made me feel like I'm getting rid of years I no longer have to hold onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment