Sunday, August 6, 2017

Newspapers are changing their tactics


I was curious to see how the newspapers would change after President Trump was inaugurated. At first, they were just telling tales. They wrote every awful,, stupid thing that Trump said or did. I sort of expected. But I knew it would get old soon.

Apparently the readership is not as interested in all of Trump's foibles. I have noticed that newspapers and magazines are changing the reporting tactics.

There are more hard-nosed stories about the politics of other countries, terrorism episodes, and stories about immigration in other countries. I think that serves as a comparison to what happens in the US.

I don't see as many crime stories. There were many when Obama was president. There were also a lot of shootings. It seemed to me like there was an organized resistance to the openness of the Democrats under Obama. I always thought that was unfortunate. I wondered who might have fostered all of that. Was it our enemies in Iran and maybe Iraq? But, I thought most of it was home-based. Even though, many of the terrorists were immigrants. Many of the shooters in the multiple killings were not.

I'm sure talking about immigration control and watching the borders may stop some illegals from attempting to enter the country. Some may not be willing to take the risk with Trump as president. It also might keep a few criminals out of the country. They might think the police are looking a little harder now – which they may be.

I do miss the stories that were enlightening. There are still health and medical stories telling about end-of-life issues, managing illness, and the awful effects to everyone involved when a family member has Alzheimer's. But I miss the aspirational stories about artist: including those who paint, or appear on Broadway, and those who star in movies. Yes, they still have some informative profiles of artists. But there is something missing. Editors must feel they can't write as many soft stories now.

It looks like editors want to be up on the politics of the nation. I think we all feel they dropped the ball when most newspapers said Hillary would be elected almost no matter what. I remember a week before the election, the New York Times wrote that she had a 91% chance of being elected. If I had been Hillary, I would not have believed that. I wonder if she did?

The newspapers need to take an objective look at what's going on in this country and figure out what President Trump is doing. But, they need to have a bit of empathy for him in the job that was quite difficult for other presidents perhaps more talented and smooth than Trump. It's a difficult job for any person. Sometimes I feel the press is piling on which makes them much worse in Trump's eyes.

One thing I have to say about Trump. He has a lot of stamina. Throughout an eighteen month campaign we were not told, nor could we notice that he was ill. He also has been president for seven months and no one has reported that he has been sick. Nor has he coughed or sneezed in public. For a 70 year old man, Trump is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment