Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Keeping track of my stuff


I have been able to have anyone go to the basement check up on my belongings since 2011, or 2012. I was keeping things organized. Then, all of a sudden, years ago management did not want anyone but staff in the basement for security reasons.

But, with some coordination housekeeping would bring things up. About every three months we would change out my seasonal clothing and cleaned and straighten as much as we could. Many times we straighten the room, the furniture was dusted, and the floor. Many times it needed it badly.

Then I went off to work program, no longer have as much money on hand, and could no longer hire someone to take me out and straighten up my room. Getting used to less income was difficult.

I tried very hard to keep things organized. But it's harder without someone to help me. The aides do not have time and neither does activities. Although, some aides and some activity staff will help when they can.

I've tried to come up with a better system. But it's still not working the way I would like. I still have some clothing in my closet in early August that is too warm to wear now. However, I may be able to wear it in September, so I hate to pack it away somewhere.

Today, I had a discussion with a housekeeper. She said she wished she had all my clothes. I told her that she really doesn't. I said I need a better system to rotate my clothing and to get nonseasonal items out of my closet. I also said that a 29 inch closet is not big enough to keep my clothes arranged neatly.

I have a nursing home history that is twenty-one plus years long, and it's hard to get rid of some things. I got rid of many things almost seven years ago when I moved to this facility.

It's really hard for me to live my life life as though I will move in a week, or even a month. It doesn't give me much comfort that I don't know how I would move all this stuff if I absolutely needed to. I would have to go through it first. Or else I would have to move it, and then go through it.

Sometime in the future, facilities are going to have to make sure that they help residents keep control of their possessions.

I know from experience that every few months, I need to go through my things, donate some of them, and throw some out.,

No comments:

Post a Comment