Thursday, August 3, 2017

Enshrined in the sanctum


I guess I never really think about the fact that I'm stuck in one spot for several hours each day. I do get to ride around in my power chair. But I do it before, and right after meals. After that, I'm back in my room at my desktop where I am not able to move around at all.

Here, resident smokers go out seven times a day two smoke. The times are: 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 4 PM, 6 PM, 8 PM, and 10 PM. I think has a lot of smoke breaks and it takes up quite a bit of time. I came from a nursing home where there were four smoke breaks a day. But, residents were allowed to smoke two cigarettes, at break, compared to one cigarette at break here. There, only one staff member took smokers out, or sat with them during their smoke break. Here two staff have to do it.

While I like to go out when the weather is nice, that hardly ever happens. I'm not allowed to go out of this locked facility without a facility staff person, family member, or friend with me. So, that means I'm in here, inside the facility, in my sanctum, most of the time.

I can't say I mind because I like being busy. Being on my desktop or laptop, keeps me connected to the outside world. To me, it seems more personal than watching television. I like the idea that articles written for publications on the Internet let readers make comments. I definitely enjoy reading them.

I also like to be up-to-date on the news, the weather, and the state of the world. I know some days the news is not good. But, it's better if I no what's going on.

I also like to write and while I can have ideas when I'm not near a computer. It's a lot easier to put them down in a usable format, if I'm at a computer. Sometimes I feel like I am as attached to my computers as some people are to their smart phones. But, I do give it a rest. I stop at night when I go to sleep. Actually, I stop about a half-hour before that. I do not go back to my computer until way after the next morning's breakfast. Would I like to know what's going on in between? Sort of, but I don't want to interrupt my sleep to find out.

Still, it would be nice to think about being able to just mosey out of the building for ten or fifteen minutes for some sunshine and fresh air.

Then, I would head back to the sanctum, where I feel connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment