Thursday, August 17, 2017

Touchpad trouble causes an aide walkout


This morning when my aide "J" set me up at my desktop. my touchpad when work properly. I have no idea why this happens, but it does every now and then. I asked "J" to unplug the touchpad and replug it. But, that didn't help. I told her I would have to do something else so that I could get the touchpad to work. After all, I use Dragon speech recognition software which allows me to dictate and do voice commands on my desktop PC. I need to have the touchpad work properly. I also have never used Dragon to navigate completely by voice.

But even though I needed "J's" assistance to shut down my PC to try to get the touchpad working, she did not want to help me. "J" said it was working some and she walked out. The pointer was moving a bit but it was very difficult to control.

When an aide walks out, it just feels like abandonment. I wanted so to cry. But I knew that would do me in emotionally and I also would not get my touchpad working. So, I sniffed and straightened up. Using my thumb I was able to maneuver the pointer to open a user file for Dragon so it could be used.

Then, I put my call light on, and wondered if I get an aide who was more willing to help me, and who that would be.

I waited there praying that a different aide would come in.

A few minutes later JJ came in, and asked what I needed. I told her I was having trouble with my touchpad. I asked her if she would be willing to unplug the touchpad and clean the USB port on my tower and the plug for the touchpad. Surprisingly, she agreed, and JJ got an electric wipe and cleaned both of them off. When she re-plugged the touchpad, it worked. I thanked her immensely for her assistance.

"J" did not come back to check on me until an hour or so later. I guess maybe that was okay because she was not in a great mood this morning anyway.

Maybe "J" asked JJ to come and assist me if I had trouble with my desktop PC. Sometimes, one aide is better dealing with certain issues than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment