Wednesday, November 8, 2017

A sunshine aide, hope she never changes


An aide I'll call Sally started on second shift this week. She's one of those can-do people. She's so refreshing because she doesn't complain and she acts like everything is doable. Sally's also very kind and calm.

I think the first night Sally worked she set me up with my laptop. Some aides think that's a major chore but she took it right on. Sally told me she's been an aide for six years. But she said her three children have taught her the most. She said she thinks she's just a natural nurse aide. I have to say I think she's right.

Sally told me she has studied to be a nurse, and changed her major to social work. Each time she had to take more classes. At the end of it Sally's funding ran out. She has 180 credits but hasn't graduated. She said she doesn't have much left to finish nursing.

No matter how many aides there are, and how grumpy some can be, there are always a few that surprise me in amazing ways. Its like finding an angel which is quite a prize.

Today, Sally came in and now that I'm using the Hoyer I thought I would see how she did with that. She did fine. The aide who is orientating her had to go help with another resident, and Sally got me undressed by herself, and put on my gown, set me up in bed, and got my laptop situated in front of me. She did it well again. I wonder if her attitude helps her accomplish more, easier than some aides.

After Sally finished, I asked if she'd cut my fingernails sometime. I said they're Long and I'm afraid I'll scratch myself or one of the aides. Sally said she could cut them, and asked where my nail clippers were. I told her they were locked and Sally proceeded to find a pair in a basket on top of my bedside stand. I wasn't even aware they were there. It's like they mysteriously appeared, and I wondered if she pulled them from her pocket.

Sally asked if I was diabetic, and I said I wasn't. She told me she could still cut my fingernails if I was diabetic, but she couldn't do my toenails. I told her no other aide has ever told me that. I said that many aides are reticent about cutting fingernails. I never knew exactly why. Maybe some aides feel they're not steady enough to do it. But, in a nursing home like this, we need more aides with Sally's attitude.

After my nails were cut, I told her it's amazing I didn't have to pull teeth to get them done.

I really hope the nursing home's management, or the bustle of every day work, don't change Sally's innate way with residents.





No comments:

Post a Comment