Monday, November 6, 2017

Fear of the Hoyer


It's terrible that I'm afraid of the Hoyer lift. The reason is I was dropped hard onto a bedside commode at the hospital in my hometown, near my first nursing home. The aide who Hoyered me was not experienced enough using it. She did not know how to lower it properly. Though I was only dropped a few inches. It seemed like a freefall to me.

It was aggravating because I had suggested to the aide how it should be used. I had seen it operated so many times living in a nursing home. Somehow the Hoyer pad wasn't right, or the aide let the Hoyer down  too fast. I'm really glad I wasn't dropped to the floor. But it really scared me.

I wouldn't use that Hoyer again and I really needed it because I had cellulitis in my weaker right leg. I hired a home health aide who operated the lift, and trained others to do it correctly. She also helped me with transfers, bathing, and hair washing for the ten days I was in the hospital for IV antibiotics.

I didn't use a Hoyer again until ten years later. I almost got dropped that time also. The registered nurse who was helping with the Hoyer forgot to cross the straps under me and I almost dropped like a rock. Luckily, one of the aides saw the error and grabbed hold of me.

This morning I used the Hoyer here. I was already told that one of its functions wasn't working. I asked if they had another lift. The director of nursing helped to assure me I'd be safe getting into my shower chair. The strap on this lift pushed really hard on my right leg. It may not have been under me evenly. It's also very thin and it hurt my leg. Unfortunately, I yipped a bit which I think scared my roommate.

I got a shower, hair washed, the whole thing. But, since I'm afraid, using the lift slower would be better for me. I became concerned when I was told one of the Hoyer's functions wasn't working. Some type of mechanism which they said would have made it easier to get me back into my shower chair. After being dropped in a lift, I've learned to be cautious.

My roommate's daughter told me they were working on the lift in the hallway. Maybe they can get that other function going again. If that lift could get me back further in the shower chair, that would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment