Saturday, November 18, 2017

I'm tired of moving and don't want to do it again


My care conference also brought up the fact that the director of nursing says they are planning to put me in a semi private room on the long term care hall. They are considerably smaller than this one. They say there is no room for my desktop and that's my best computer.

To say I'm upset about this is putting it mildly. But there is little that I can do. The nursing home ombudsman says they cannot move me to another room if it does not meet my needs. Now that I use a Hoyer lift, that adds another big piece of equipment that will be in and out of the already small half of a semi private room. I just don't understand why they make the rooms so small. The semi private rooms here are all small except for the larger ones, located on each end, where I am now.

I was offered the semi private on the long-term care hall a few weeks ago. But, I like my roommate and I didn't really want to leave her. The female resident down there is nice. However, I was afraid with her family nearby and friends, that my privacy would be very minimal. Since I'm a writer, it's important for me to have some quiet time.

So, I have a lot to think about. The facility suggested an assisted living home which they think will be better. But I don't like the idea. I didn't do assisted living in the 90s, so why would I do it over 20 years later. I need more assistance, not less, I also do not want to be pigeonholed In a efficiency apartment which is really more space than I want. I know exactly what they look like. I saw a home for developmentally disabled, not mentally retarded individuals, when my sister lived in Michigan.

The home was brand-new and each room had a bed, small refrigerator, sink, and small cooking surface. Back then, it would have been a better transition than the one to a nursing home. But the doors were too happy and there was no one on-duty during the night. All residents would've had, would have been an emergency alert like Lifeline. It was to be used if there was an emergency, or problem during the night and the emergency squad would come. My father wasn't comfortable with me being left alone during the night. I already knew I couldn't be happy in that space.

The ombudsman told me she's already emailed the facility information which requires them to meet my needs.

They knew before I came that I'm a part-time paid blogger online.

I hope they reconsider and allow me room with sufficient space.

No comments:

Post a Comment