Sunday, November 12, 2017

Helping an 18-year-old learn to step up


I'll call the youngest aide here, Ellen. She's in nursing school and works every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. She is kind of aloof and acts a bit like she's better than everyone else. Ellen's always been nice to me, if a bit remote. But the other aides say she tells them what they should do. I've not heard her do it. But the aides say it's aggravating.

Today a 6 AM to 6 PM aide called off. That meant that Ellen had the whole rehab hall with eleven residents to do by herself. There are two other aides on these front two halls. But they usually have to stay on South Hall  because it's for long-term care residents, and is usually busy.

Ellen did all my a.m. care while I was still in bed. I wanted to get up for breakfast but couldn't because an aide couldn't get free long enough to assist Ellen to get me up with the lawyer. But there was more to it than that. If an aide had helped, I would've been ready for breakfast. Leaving Ellen alone to work by herself showed her what it's like to care for residents without another aide..

Ellen was reticent about doing me. She told me an older, more experienced aide told her she's not doing a good job. I told Ellen no one should say that. Other aides ought to make suggestions and be helpful.

So, I told Ellen I thought she could get my care done, and me ready, like the other aides wanted. Being one aide short this morning  meant I was behind schedule. Still, I thought if Ellen had a goal to reach for it might give her some incentive. I told Ellen trying things on her own we'll teach her things. I also reminded her that there'll be times when she'll have to do resident care on her own.

Ellen wanted to give up. Just the thought of being on her own, made her doubt herself. I coached her and encouraged her and tried to teach some shortcuts and body mechanics that will help her. I encouraged her to keep going and doing.

I know she was nervous but she made it through and did all my a.m. care. However when Ellen went to lunch one of the other aides gave care to some of Ellen's residents.

I have no idea why Ellen is aloof with me and bossy with some of the aides. But she needs to try to listen and just do.

If she has any real talent for healthcare, others will be able to see it through her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment