Sunday, November 26, 2017

The upside down afternoon


This morning we had four aides, which is rare on a weekend. That meant the aides had more help, and time, to get me up and ready for breakfast in the dining room. Some were probably surprised that I was there.

I went in and aides were feeding the, dependant residents first, as they always do. I went to my roommate's table and sat near her. At least we could talk a bit while she was eating her breakfast. Then, even she had stayed long enough and left.

Right before that, an aide brought my tray, and put my teabags in hot water to brew. Then she was paged to a resident's room to assist him to breakfast. That aide didn't said a word, didn't cover the tray, or my tea; she was just gone.

After a few minutes, I asked another aide if she'd cover my tea, and she did. Then, I waited another twenty minutes for an aide to feed me breakfast.

After breakfast I was rolling around waiting to get my a.m. care finished, and the Communion Distributor introduced himself, and gave me Communion. Then he left hurriedly with no other extra prayer.

The rest of the midmorning went pretty well and I was actually set up at my desktop by 10:30 a.m.

After lunch things got messed up. One aide went home, which left three to handle everything. Usually there are three aides on the weekend. But an extra aide is welcome.

I always have trouble getting set back up at my desktop PC. Since the aides don't always have time to set me back up at the desktop PC after lunch, they are out of practice doing it. So, it takes them longer. Only a couple of them can do it quickly.

A while after I asked to be set up, I had to go to the bathroom, and told an aide. She told me she was too busy. I rolled the hallways waiting.

An hour later I was still waiting. But, I couldn't wait any longer and wet my pants. That upset and embarrassed me.

It took another hour before the aides could clean me up. Aides just kept walking by me in the hallway.

The day was rough for nurses and aides because a long-term care resident was dying. Most of the staff were client.

Later, I apologized to my aide for being upset at the shorthanded situation. Nevertheless, when they're shorthanded, waiting is frustrating

No comments:

Post a Comment