Thursday, November 2, 2017

How to get the van to the garage


I know not many nursing home residents have vehicles, but I do. I was able to be in a disabled workers program while living in my first and second nursing homes. I was able to save for a used van with a fold-down ramp in the back. I was also able to maintain it until I turned 65, and was no longer eligible for that program. After that, but income went down.

It was easier when I could just direct the repair of the van. Now, my sister will have to help with the cost of repairs. Having a van provides an accessible vehicle so my sister and my friends can take me out.

My van has gotten only oil changes since 2014. They say it needs new brakes but I can't afford them. It isn't driven that much anyway. Previously I lived in a larger city and most of my travels were ten miles round-trip from the nursing home.

But the engine light came on and an employee who started the van for me saw it. My sister wants the light checked out, the oil changed, and new antifreeze. But the problem is I haven't been able to find a local garage that will pick up my van and return it – even for a fee.

Today, I emailed the nursing home to see if one of their managers, or possibly two, can drop my van at the garage at the end of their workday. The assistant business office manager said she'd ask about it.

The engine light could be something minor, or major.

I got an estimate at the garage which is the closest to this nursing home. I'm hoping that will make it easier for a manager (or two) from the nursing home to get it there and back.

One of my friends could take it when they visit. But, someone here would have to drive their vehicle to the garage, so they'd have a way to get back here.

I'm hoping I can get this worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment