Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017 spent in bed


I don't think I've stayed in bed on Thanksgiving in quite a while unless I was really sick. But, after I had the sweats and chills most of the night, I thought I'd better stay in bed. I run my power chair much more here than I did at my previous facility. That may indeed be wearing me out, and the extra exertion could be causing bowel upsets.

I didn't even turn the TV on. I thought about music but didn't do that either. No one got confrontational which surprised me. But, it's Thanksgiving and maybe people were trying to be kind. I have no idea but I'm glad they didn't give me trouble about it.

I felt like I was punishing myself. But, I got washed up quickly, if not as thoroughly as I like. But I'm trying to compromise. I'd like to know how they are compromising to assist me. I think compromise or detente has to be a two-way street.

I thought I might get sleepy lying in bed,, but I didn't. There were no sounds to listen to except the noisy therapists across the hall. Medicare and Medicaid no longer care that Thanksgiving day is a holiday. Therapists are not allowed to miss too many days in between therapy sessions with residents. That's why therapists now show up on holidays. They certainly didn't used to.

They said not many residents went out. Although, when I decided to stay in bed, they told me that they wouldn't have time to do me later. But, I'm sure they're some people who refuse and the aide would wait and do their care later.

It seemed like they had enough aides. But I wasn't out there to observe it. I just did not want to take the chance of being stranded in the hallway with nothing to do. I think maybe this place needs to start getting audiobooks, or something. That way I can sit out there and listen to them. I might just try to read a book. Maybe if they see how difficult it is for me they can better empathize with my situation.

The admissions coordinator came in again and fed me the Thanksgiving day dinner. I didn't eat all of it. But what I did eat was good and I was told the staffing was homemade. I don't think I've ever had homemade stuffing in a nursing home before. I also ate the pumpkin pie which tasted a lot better than what I had last year.

I don't know what the admissions coordinator is trying to do. I'm always wary when people are nice to me. I think they have an ulterior motive. I wonder what she's trying to figure out, or find out when she talks to me. But, I'm grateful she fed me Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm also grateful that it's after 6 PM on Thanksgiving day 2017, and I made it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment