Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Wrote nursing home check from the wrong account


A year ago I had to open a Qualified Income Trust (QIT) in order to be eligible for Medicaid. Since I'm on of the nursing home residents who receives higher Security Disability Income (SSDI). Therefore, my SSDI which I must pay to the nursing home, except for $40, must be deposited into the QIT. All Medicaid allowable expenses are paid through the QIT.

Since I earn a modest income as a freelance blog writer, part of that amount, I pay to the nursing home. I also pay my self-employment taxes, and set aside my monthly auto insurance premium fee, are deposited into the QIT.

I have two checking accounts at one bank. One is for my personal his. The other is the QIT to pay the nursing home and other allowed bills by Medicaid.

Ever since the QIT was opened, I was afraid I would accidentally write a check out of the wrong account. I called the bank to see if they could do anything to distinguish each account, to prevent me from making that mistake..They said there was no way they could distinguish them more..

Since I moved to this facility, my SSDI is directly deposited into a different bank. Since I moved here my freelance checks for blogging are now deposited into the same bank as my SSDI. This is an older account, and not the bank where I have the QIT.

After moving to this facility, there have been lots of changes: the facility name change, and continuing to make payments on a small, outstanding bill from my former facility. It's been fun keeping it straight..

But, since I don't get on my desktop every day here, I forget to check my checking and credit card balances frequently. It used to be de riguer before at my previous facility. But I have not established a flow here yet and badly need to get one. Not checking my accounts often, is not good.

Tonight I was on my laptop and went to the QIT bank to check its balance, and the balance of my of my personal checking account there.

When I did, my personal checking account had a negative balance of over $800. I knew what I had done. I accidentally wrote the check (for my SSDI) to the nursing home from my personal account, instead of from the QIT.

I called the bank and told them about the overdraft, which was caused by my error. I asked if I could transfer the funds from the QIT to my personal account, because the check had already been cashed. They advised me that would work.

I was almost shaking as I went through the process of transferring funds from one checking account to the other. I don't think I've ever made a mistake like that before. And I hope I'll not make it soon again.

No comments:

Post a Comment