Friday, December 15, 2017

An inside family holiday visit


It would have to be 26° and snowing when my sister and her husband visited today. That almost assured that they would not want to go out.

Though it was our Christmas visit, and the first time I've seen my brother-in-law in person since Thanksgiving 2014, I was still hoping we could do the usual thing and go out.

But since each of us are older, we no longer push ourselves as much.

Early on I suggested ordering in. I recently stopped a medication and withdrawal symptoms have been wearing me down. I wanted us to be able to visit, be comfortable, and not worry about going out.

So, my sister ordered Chinese in. We ate it and did our Christmas gift exchange in the dining room here. It's nice when family members, who are also friends, can drop right back into chatting about world events, entertainment, and sports, without concern about hurting each other's feelings.

It seemed like we showed a light to the facility workers, and even the other residents, around us. It may have been our easy manner, or the respectful way we treat each other.

I think it always helps for facility management and staff to see how a family gets along together. That shows them something about each member of the family group. It also shows how the family acts with the resident in their midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment