Friday, December 8, 2017

How long to fix a lift


The big blue Hoyer went down on Tuesday afternoon. I haven't heard that it's been repaired yet.

So they're using the dementia unit's Hoyer to lift ALL THE RESIDENTS here. But the difficulty is they do not have many Hoyer pads for that one. The blue one is used much more and therefore has more pads. Unfortunately, the lifts are from different manufacturers and that means the pads are not interchangeable.

I've been in bed since Tuesday afternoon when it broke. I've been told that if I want to get up. I cannot use the toilet. For toileting I can be Hoyered into bed to use the bedpan. Even though toileting that we would be a necessity for now, I don't have to say I like it. To me, there should be a way to lift residents when the lift, or lifts are down.

I remember when the lift broke at my second facility. They had fewer lift residents, but they were still required to lift them to do their care.

I remember the aides were tired from lifting residents on those days. One young man who needed the lift weighed over 200 pounds. He was also very strong on his one side and he could've given the aides a rough time, if he chose to. Although, I saw him have to spend days on end in bed when his manual, tilt wheel chair was out of order.

Lifts do a good job and save the aides' backs. However, when they are nonoperational, many of us lose the independence lifts provide us.

I would think they could get parts from that lift from almost anywhere in two days.

I'm so hoping that they get the parts and get the big blue Hoyer back together soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment