Friday, December 22, 2017

Still waiting for the lift to be fixed


I can't believe it's been since 12/6 and there's still no workable Hoyer that uses the same type of lift pads as the broken one. Despite that, they're getting these heavier residents who can't move very well, up and into their chairs for at least a few hours a day. I really don't know how they're doing it. I'm sure their families would be really aggravated if their resident couldn't get up. I know some family members are probably calling in to see if there resident is getting up.

I got my shower this morning using the only lift pad available to me. Since it has a hole for toileting or showering, once it's wet, I have to be hoyered back into bed to get it out from under me.. Then if there is no dry one, the wet one has to be washed and dried before I can use it.

Since housekeeping and laundry service are contracted out, the aides and nurses can't wash and dry those Hoyer pads after 5 PM, or during the night, so they're available when needed. If I were the administrator running this facility I couldn't work under those conditions. To me, there should be away to get those pads washed, even if they had to take them to a laundromat. Those Hoyer pads need to be available, especially for daytime.

Since I was being put back into bed, I said there was no real reason to dress me. This corner where my bed is is hot anyway, and lying in bed with extra clothing on, hoping to get up, would make me even more uncomfortable. I had them put me in a gown, which is what I wear in bed, sick or well.

I asked if it was okay for me to take that dental appointment next Friday. I so don't want to have to cancel it because there's new Hoyer pad to transfer me to my power chair so that I can go.

I personally don't think residents should continue to use those Hoyer lift pads with the toileting holes, after they've been toileted. That pad can easily get soiled, and I think it should be washed at least at the end of the day, if not more often..

I've asked about buying my own U-shaped Hoyer pad which can be pulled out from behind me before I'm toileted, or showered. One aide said I can't do that because it's against facility policy. However, before the lift broke, I was using a pad which was U-shaped and could be pulled out. And I think they had more than one for the broken lift.

I've heard they're ordering new Hoyer pads. I certainly hope they'll get here soon. It would be nice if a couple were U-shaped and removable.

It's been sixteen days since I've been lifted with that U-shaped Hoyer pad, and I've had to spend way too much time in bed since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment