Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Song and dance and Christmas splash after breakfast


This morning I felt like a rube. It's the first time in a while that I've seen anybody perform in a nursing home. I'm not talking about a church or school choir singing, I'm talking about teenage singers and dancers performing at a nursing home right after breakfast. This is something new that I've not seen before.

At a previous facility singing was done in the evening usually by church groups and school groups. Sometimes, I'm sure, just plain old volunteers came in and sang for us.

This morning the high school performers arrived during breakfast. The girls in gold and white dresses and the boys in black shirts and pants.

I thought they would sing the regular Christmas songs that we all know. I was surprised that they sing pop songs, even one from Taylor Swift, and then holiday favorites..

I found out this afternoon the mother of the school's music teacher's is a resident here on the memory unit.

The music teacher's mom was certainly proud as her daughter weaved in and around her students encouraging their performance.

Most residents were put in the living room upfront so they could watch and listen. But one man stopped walking with therapy, to watch the show.

I'm sure most of those high schoolers knew they were doing a good deed today.

But, I'm not sure that most understood that live entertainment is something few nursing home residents see regularly.

Thanks kids! We enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment