Sunday, December 10, 2017

M turned 32 today


It seems only a little while ago that she weighed at birth 6 pounds 15 1/2 ounces and I saw her in the nursery because her mom was so ill after her birth.

But her mom got well and December 10 was always M's.

I took M shopping after she turned three, and I watched her carefully, as did my caregiver, to keep her safe. She loved shopping and going to a fast food place in the mall and doling out ketchup so we would have it for our French fries. She was always a little helper child. I guess maybe because she's the only child, she wanted to belong with everyone.

I kind of enjoyed it when fellow shoppers at the mall commented about how cute my little girl was. M wasn't mine but she was cute, and I took full advantage and gleamed with pride when anyone assumed she was mine.

M came to my condo and went with me when I visited my caregiver's family farm. M liked to play with my caregiver's son who was three years older. The even rode his bicycle in the house. They jumped on his crazy waterbed and those two "only child kids" enjoyed being together.

M is far away on birthdays now. I saw her near her birthday in 2016, because she visited me eight days later. I have to admit I burst into tears when I saw her. Even though I had the feeling she might surprise me, or her mother would, I wasn't quite prepared.

It's hard for me being far away from the niece I watched grow up – from a distance. I hope she remembers those days, as I do, sharing fun and time together.

This year I didn't get to make her a birthday card which I've done for years. At this new nursing home my routine has been different since the Hoyer lift ProQuest week. I haven't been able to get on my desktop. The software for card making is on it.

Even though I couldn't make her card this year. I still sent greetings by email, along with a gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment