Saturday, December 16, 2017

Too much time in bed causes sore tailbone


I knew if I had to spend time in bed because the Hoyer lift was broken, I might have a problem. I was worried that being in bed, lying on my back, could cause skin breakdown.

At first, I was watching the skin on my bottom pretty closely. I was also paying attention to whether or not I had any pain near my tailbone or on my hips. Every day, I asked the aides to check the skin on my bottom for redness.

I've also had to miss some of my showers since that lift broke. Missing showers is not good. That means I don't get warm running water and washing to stimulate my circulation which is good for my skin. Just washing up in bed quickly is not enough.

Last weekend I had some tailbone soreness. I asked my aide to check it and she said it was fine. But, I should have suggested that a nurse take a look.

Today, after my aide washed me up, she told me I had a sore spot on the right side of my tailbone. That is the side which is more profoundly paralyzed. I must've either not noticed it, or because I cannot move, ignored it.

Now, it's sore and uncomfortable. The nurse said I need to be turned during the day to make sure I do not have pressure on the same spots near my tailbone, and on my bottom..

Before supper, after sitting here at the laptop in bed for a few hours, I had to have an aide tilt my hips to the right to get me off the sore spot.

Since then, it hasn't been too bad. But, it still hurts.

I have to make sure when I go to sleep that I am pretty much rolled onto my left side. That way there will be no pressure on that sore spot.

Regular turning and positioning are the only things that will help my skin stay healthy and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment