Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Teeth not cleaned yet


I was never told that the dentist was coming today. He was at this facility, right after I came in late August. But, because I was supposed to go out to the dentist I've been seeing for over seven years, outside the facility, I hadn't planned on seeing the facility traveling dentist.

I only had a nursing home dentist work on me once. I can't remember if he cleaned my teeth. I do remember that he examined them and said five to eight cavities needed to be filled. When I went to see my own dentist a little while later for a second opinion, he said none of those teeth needed to be filled immediately. He'd been watching some of them for years.

I was told in October that this facility can't provide two aides to go to the dentist's office so I can transfer into the chair. Although two aides took me at my second facility, this one cannot spare the staff.

So I've waited over two months to see this facility's dentist. My teeth have not been cleaned since August 2016.

Today I was in bed not feeling well after not feeling well yesterday. Last night it was too warm in here kept me from sleeping.

Right around lunchtime a woman walked in and asked if I'd see the dentist. I told her I would. The dentist came in all gowned up, and asked if he could check my teeth. He did very briefly, said my teeth looked good, and he left. Before he went out the door, I asked if I could get my teeth cleaned and he said I couldn't.

Later, when my nurse came in and I asked her about getting my teeth cleaned. She said they could be cleaned if I got up in my power chair, so the dentist could clean them. I told the nurse I was afraid it would hurt my neck if I got my teeth cleaned sitting in my upright power chair. Since I have a neck injury, I don't really want want to get my teeth cleaned while there is a strain on my neck.

I'm in the dentist Catch-22 again. I'm going to try to see if I can hire a couple of aides who can take me to the dentist and transfer me into the chair to get my teeth cleaned and checked.

I wonder how successful I'll be hiring two aides to take me to to the dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment