Monday, December 11, 2017

No eleventh year Christmas outing


I've wanted my friend Mike to visit ever since November. But he got sick visiting his daughter in Texas in early November, and ended up with a severe nasal infection. I sort of left him alone to recuperate.

We made plans to get together this week, and enough before Christmas, that the stores wouldn't be that crowded. But, then the Hoyer lift here broke last Tuesday, and I wondered how long it would take to fix it.

Last night I told my aide to tell the nurse that I'd like to get a shower this morning so I could go out with my friend for a holiday visit. Then, I wondered if my aide shared that message with anyone.

This morning way before breakfast, things were moving rather slowly. But, I thought maybe they'd already worked things out so there would be two Hoyer pads so I could get a shower, and get to go out.

Unfortunately, it ended up not being in the cards. There was only one Hoyer pad, the other was from the broken one. Therefore, I couldn't get a shower. Instead, I was washed up in bed and my hair was cleaned with rinseless.shampoo.

I asked to be put in the bathroom, and was. Unfortunately, I ended up being in there for over an hour. The aides were all at breakfast and there was no one to help me get out after the bathroom and be able to be fed breakfast in my room.

By the time I got out of that bathroom, I was sore and exhausted. There was a discussion going on with the administrator in the hallway. He was trying to clarify why I was upset. I said I had had to sit on the shower chair for way too on, and I didn't get my breakfast.

Luckily, my friend arrived, started my van to charge the battery, helped me straighten my room, and ate a pizza lunch with me. I surely wished I'd been able to go out and get away from the facility for a little while.

I hope the Hoyer is fixed soon so I can go back to my routine prior to last Tuesday when the big blue Hoyer broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment