Sunday, October 8, 2017

A morning from hell


This weekend on the nurse aide schedule must just be doomed. This morning I again didn't get started early enough with my morning routine. I wasn't out of bed until 7:30 a.m.

I was in the bathroom for a while and when I got out my aide had to leave and go to the dining room to feed other residents. The problem was I had not had my breakfast yet. I wish she would have just thrown a blanket over me and taken me to the dining room with her. At least I could've been fed my breakfast.

As it was, she had to leave me with the TV on. I had her put a folded towel under my left thigh, which was sore from the pressure of sitting. I thought maybe having a towel under it would relieve it.

It worked for a little while. But, twenty minutes later my leg started to throb. It was numb and tingly. I started calling for the nurse who was in the hallway passing medicine. I thought maybe she would bring mine down and adjust my leg. But neither the nurse, nor anybody else came.

I tried everything I could think of to get my left leg to stop hurting, but nothing helped.

I just started to call nurse, nurse and please help me every few minutes. As the pain increased in my left thigh, I got louder and longer. Even though I was yelling nurse, nobody came.

I was so dejected and in pain I couldn't even pay attention to the TV.

Then I heard my roommate on her cell phone. I wondered if she was calling her daughter to tell her about my situation.

A few minutes later, I was still calling for help when her daughter came in. I told her I had been on the shower chair for over two hours. She asked me why and I told her there weren't enough aides to get me off the shower chair. My roommate's daughter  said she was going to go complain, and started out the door. I told her I had complained enough for just about every resident in the nursery monitor I use as a call light.

A few minutes later she came back and told me that she is going to report what happened to me.

Several minutes after that the nurse came in and put a washcloth under my left thigh, which I knew would relieve the pain temporarily, which it did. She said she was sending the aides in to help me and she didn't want me to yell at them because I was on the shower chair for so long. I told her I wasn't going to yell at them.

I learned a bit earlier that another aide was coming in at 10 AM. The same scheduling happened on this same Sunday aide schedule a month ago.

In less than an hour I was washed up, hair combed, teeth brushed, and set up at my desktop PC.

I really hope I won't experience this soon again.



No comments:

Post a Comment