Thursday, October 26, 2017

Living on the rehab hall


At my third facility I'm on the rehab hall. There are a lot of comings and goings here. Residents leave on ambulance carts and return later. They do more mobile x-rays. Therapy runs up and down the halls and walks residents most of the day. It is just a really busy place.

When I first came, there were seven empty beds on this rehab hall. Within a week, they were filled.

That's the way it will be here. It's much like my first facility was after they remodeled a couple of years before I left. This rehab residents moved in and out on the hall. When I first came there, it was the long-term care hall.

Living on the rehab hall is a lot like being in the hospital. The residents who are brought here are in pain after surgery and they are very needy. They're quite different to care for than long-term care residents.

Many rehab residents have cell phones. Their families and friends are in and out during the day. The only thing I haven't seen on this rehab hall is a priest with a Roman collar. That's because I'm looking for one.

The rehab unit private rooms have tables in them and residents can invite a spouse or family member to come and eat with them. This facility provides guests meal trays gratis.

This is such a busy place compared to where I used to live. That behavior facility could be busy when there was a resident outburst. But, once it was under control, things calmed down.

This place doesn't usually calm until the residents are asleep.

I can understand why management wants to move me to the long-term care hall. At least it should be a bit quieter. Even though there will be people there with mild dementia who will probably be louder than the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment