Friday, October 27, 2017

When God visited with Deidre


I will call the admissions director here Deirdre. That name is just as good as her given one. But this way she can remain anonymous.

Anyway, Deirdre fed me my snack the other night because the aide who was supposed to was a bit grumpy about the whole thing. The aide thinks I'm too much of a bother and that I should just go to the dining room like the other residents. But we all know not every resident here does what they're supposed to, all the time.

I enjoyed Deirdre feeding me and it didn't take very long. I kind of always wondered why a staff member or several couldn't have taken turns feeding me. I understand that's not really fair. But, we do sometimes help some individuals more than others, and probably never think about it.

You see last night the aides were overwhelmed, and they said they had no time to feed me the snack I eat, instead of supper. I don't quite understand that. But I have kind of a hardened take on what happens in nursing homes all the time. If a resident gets very ill, within fifteen minutes, they're either better, dead, or on their way to the hospital. That's just the way it is. I've been watching it for twenty-one years.

They had a lot of admissions yesterday, maybe too many. But there was a need and of course that's how they make a profit, and of course they will not turn potential residents away.

I just think there should have been way to meet my need for a snack. If I'd been my aide, I would've had a friend or family member nearby go pick up Taco Bell. Then, that aide could've eaten with me during their lunch break, which they could've taken in my room. Yes, they may've had to give up a smoke break. But they would've felt better for doing it.

But apparently that wasn't thought of. And while I was angry about the situation, I knew the aides weren't to blame. But, their attitude could've been different. I also wouldn't have turned down some pieces of a 10 PM pizza, but nobody tried that either.

So tonight after a very down day and getting almost forgotten at lunchtime, Deirdre offered to come and feed me the snack of my choice. It would've been nice if I could've gotten something really nifty for us to eat. But, Deidre fed me my hummus on pretzel crackers.

Deidre and I had a lovely conversation and for once, my snack was not rushed. I felt that God visited in the person of Deidre who came in to feed me a snack and her visit helped to alleviate some of my stress.



No comments:

Post a Comment