Friday, October 6, 2017

Conversation with an aide


Dudley, my name for the male aide on dayshift, has given his two weeks notice. I find that surprising since he's good at his job. He also shows up. Although, he may have called off once since I've been here.

This morning he told me that two dayshift aides didn't show up. Although he thought one might just be late, he was pretty sure the other one wasn't coming. I told him it's amazing how aides can do that and the facility can't afford to discipline them in any way. They really need every one of those aides, so badly. Most of their coworker aides are angry when other aides call off, or don't show.

He told me that there has been a lot of confusion and disorganization here in the past. He said at one time the administrator, director of nursing, and assistant director of nursing all quit at the same time. He also said there was a female administrator here who was quite successful in her job. But, unfortunately she left it.

Dudley said he thought things would change when the present administrator arrived. If that's when a different company bought the business, he might have thought their "person centered care" and "spirituality" endeavors might change the way care was given.

Dudley said instead of things getting better here, they're getting worse. The aides are more unreliable and quit all the time. However, I know the unreliability of aides, housekeepers and dietary staff is an industrywide problem. Aides usually take time off, or quit and come back, when they feel they're getting burned out.

It's interesting that Dudley seems pretty connected here. Although he lives twenty to thirty miles away, he seems to be comfortable here. It can't be easy going elsewhere.

Dudley said he doesn't mind doing the job and feels he can get the hall I'm on finished himself. I think it bothers him that he needs help to do me.

One thing I have noticed is that Dudley's moods change frequently. The down, angry mood he falls into gives me a strange feeling. I wonder if he's angry because he works here.

I hope he finds a job that makes him happier. I also hope this facility finds a way to get good aides and nurses to stay longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment