Friday, October 20, 2017

The calm days scare me


This morning it was my shower day and two aides worked together to do my shower and there was no hassle or problems. When I was a bit late for breakfast in the dining room, no one was concerned because the student nurses helped to feed residents breakfast as well as doing other things. I hoped those students weight guarantee the residents did not go unattended, because I was getting some extra care.

Sometimes I feel guilty when a calm day happens. It's like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I always feel a manager will stop in and tell me that I am taking up too much of an aide's time. In fact, at my previous facilities I would have trying to get the aide to finish so she/he could go help another resident. But this morning I didn't do that.

Afterwards, I realized I felt calmer having the same a.m. care routine two days in a row. I know I used to adapt better. Though, I never was good at it. I like things be routine. Doing things the same way is fine with me. In fact, routine makes me more comfortable.

But I know this regimented care wave can't last long. But I hope these aides understand that after twenty-one years living in nursing homes, there isn't much I haven't seen. I've know the good, the bad, and the ugly of nursing home life.

Every time this place, or my previous two nursing homes, put me in "wait mode", it scared me. And I'm there again tonight.

I have the feeling that they're short on second shift. It's hard to get aides to work on Fridays. One aide was moved to another unit about an hour ago.

The nurse was just in, very late, to give me my meds. That way at least I got a drink of water.

I wonder how long I'll wait this evening before an aide feeds me a snack.



No comments:

Post a Comment