Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Reconnecting with the Church


I've lived at my third facility for two months. I wish now that I had called the Catholic Church here when I first came. But, mistakenly, I thought social services contacted our resident's church. However, because of HIPPA that can no longer be done.

I emailed the church in mid-October. They replied that someone would be out to give me Communion on Sundays. But that next Sunday, no one from the church came, or called.

I kind of let it go because I thought they might be having a time with scheduling. But, since no church volunteer has been here, there must not be any other Catholic residents living here.

I didn't know quite what to do because I've never encountered this situation before.. At my two previous nursing homes, each Catholic Church contacted me. And I was getting Communion soon after I arrived. The first Catholic Church was in a small town over 70 miles away that has two Catholic churches. Many residents of the nursing home were Catholic. Therefore Communion Distributors and the priest were frequently in the building. The church was one and one half miles away. That made it easy and convenient for volunteers, the Catholic school children, and the priests do visit the nursing home.

At my second facility I called and not much time passed before two nuns came to visit me and brought Communion. I didn't see the priest and he never showed up without scheduling before hand. But, I received Communion regularly from two different Communion Distributors during the seven years I was there.

So, yesterday I emailed the Catholic Church again. I explained that I would be grateful if I could receive Communion any day during the week. They did not have to try to come on Sundays if it was difficult..

The church replied that they would endeavor to get someone to come and bring Communion me as soon as possible.

I'm hoping a Communion Distributor will be able to make it here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment