Saturday, October 14, 2017

Doing things a bit differently


This morning my a.m. care worked out better. But, I was about fifteen minutes late getting my suppositories. However, they are endeavoring not to leave me sitting on the shower chair for too long.

The aides double teamed to finish my washup quicker. The younger one, I will call Ellen wasn't very sure what she's doing. But, as a nursing student, there's no time like the present for her to learn. Learning by doing is better anyway.

They had to hurry so I'd get to the dining room. They got me washed up, dressed, and my hair put together in less than thirty minutes – which is great time. I think they could've spent a bit more time and I would've been washed better and felt less itchy. But that's a topic for another day.

I need to figure out how we can refine the washup. It needs to be done more like at stop at my previous nursing home. We need to get a system down and there isn't one yet . It's all hodgpodged and messed up.

But, things take time and I need to give the aides time to adjust. I also realize that some of them will never adjust to, or like, what I want done.

Ellen, younger aide, told me this morning that if someone wouldn't wash her the way she wanted, and do the things the way she wanted them done during the washup, she told me she'd be upset also. That shows that a 17-year-old can understand how I feel.

Ellen, who is a new aide, is doing a good job. She's going to nursing school and has a test on Monday. She has studied Buddhism and practiced it with yoga and meditation. I told her I admire her for her ability to try to fix herself instead of trying to fix everyone else around her.

Tonight, the nurse allowed Ellen to feed me my snack while trays were being passed. I had suggested that when Ellen set me up with my laptop, and I'm glad they did it that way, instead of waiting.

Getting my snack early cause me not to have to worry about it this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment