Wednesday, October 25, 2017

I didn't prepare to vote


A few weeks ago a friend encouraged me to vote in this off year election. I told her I seldom vote in off year elections. But I do vote in congressional and presidential elections in the even years. But she said I should vote because there was a State issue on the ballot that deserved my attention.

For some reason I decided to check it out. I went to the Secretary of State's website two change my address and thereby reregister to vote. I was able to change my address but I was passed the deadline to register before the election which was October 10. If I could get to the polls, I could take my ID and vote there. They would use my voter registration from my previous address (different county, same state) and let me fill out a provisional ballot. Then those who count the ballots would decide whether it's valid.

The chaplain here was in charge of getting out the vote and dealing with the board of elections. They come here for every election and help the residents vote. That's what happened at my first facility. But I found it was just easier to fill out the application for the absentee ballot, have a friend help me complete it, then I'd sign it, and it would be mailed back.

After lunch I found out that today is voting day. I went down to the dining room and chatted with one of the ladies. I told her if easier for me to sign the ballot if I was set up at my table in my room. She encouraged me saying I could make an X and they would cosign to make it valid. I told her I knew that but I preferred not to do that. I also told her if I could not vote, it was okay because I had not prepared myself to vote.

I left because it was time for a bathroom run. And, sure enough, the ladies and the activity director followed me up the hall. I told them I had decided not to vote this time, but thanked them for their effort. They told me they'd be here next time, if I'm still here.

That's the first time that something turned around for me. I know that the chaplain probably exercised his influence. However, everyone is encouraged to vote, especially if you're white. That's a horrible thing to say but it's true.

Anyway, I will be registered to vote now since the Board of Elections in the county where I now live has my new address.



No comments:

Post a Comment