Thursday, October 5, 2017

My friend helped me out


I moved here August 30 and my sister put things where she thought they could be found. But, unfortunately her one day of organization did not allow enough time. I do wonder if she made a list. It would be helpful to have it now, but I don't. It's hard to remember where things were put, when she's in Florida and I'm in Ohio.

My things have been sitting right where she left them. I knew my important things were put somewhere for me to find. But I had no idea exactly where they were.

The day I moved in was such a swirl of things going on, here and there. I wish I had overseen all the things I need for everyday life packed where I knew exactly where they were. However, there was no way I could do that.

Instead, my friend Beth who visited the other day helped me. She had difficulty helping because I left wrist has been broken since mid-September.

Since she didn't want to take me out, we took advantage of the time and she went through a large tote that my sister put in the closet. We threw a bunch of things away. I also gave her some of the things I no longer need. Some things I wanted to throw away she took for her grandchildren to play with. But most of it went in my bedside stand, since that's where it was at my previous nursing home.

Beth also helped me go through a couple bags of midweight clothing. I told her the facility has misplaced some of my clothing, or it has not been returned. I have lost several tops and several pairs of pants.

Beth helped me find stretch jeans that will get me through most of the fall. Then we think maybe my other clothing is stored in my minivan in the parking lot. I remember clearly that my sister had a couple of totes and the admissions coordinator said – the facility had no place to store extra clothing.

I appreciate my friend Beth going through my things with me. My sister had to endure Hurricane Irma in September. Now, she is off on a long time planned vacation with her husband. She will visit me sometime after she returns.

It's hard to live in a nursing home and need the help of family, and not have it. Nursing homes ought to make sure they have either staff or volunteers to assist residents to put their room together when their families are unable.

I'll feel like a vagabond, until this room is in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment