Thursday, October 12, 2017

I told them to cancel the appointment


A week ago I was told I had two appointments on October 12. One was with an oncologist because I've had breast cancer three times. A few hours later the facility scheduled an appointment for a transvaginal ultrasound – which I've never had. I couldn't understand why they would schedule two appointments for the same day. I thought that was too much.

I wrote a letter to whichever nurse would handle it, saying that I didn't want two appointments scheduled in one day. I also said I preferred not to go on October 12 or October 18 since I was getting company on those days. I only had the business office email so that's where I sent it, and requested they forward it.

Later that day the facility chaplain came to talk to me about the appointments. I told him I preferred they not schedule two appointments on the same day. I haven't done that in five years.

I said I wanted the transvaginal ultrasound rescheduled for a different day. Looking back, I think I got my dates mixed up and thought the second Wednesday in October was the 12th. However, they should ask me if I have anything upcoming on my calendar, before they schedule medical appointments.

I had the appointment Post-it note on the front of my desktop PC screen. Thinking it had been cancel, I must've had someone remove it.

Fast forward to this morning. After I was dressed I was told that I had an appointment this afternoon. I realized it was for the vaginal ultrasound. I told them it had been canceled last week. But, they said it wasn't canceled. I told them I wouldn't go.

I felt I didn't have enough information to go to that appointment. I'm a quadriplegic and I'm concerned that a vaginal ultrasound could be uncomfortable and might cause spasticity. I suggested I might need to have a sedative before I have the test.

I said I emailed this information the business office manager last week, and wondered if anyone got it. I told them, no matter what, I was canceling.

Later, I talked with the assistant director of nursing and told her my concerns. Not long after, she said she called the ultrasound tech and she's never done a transvaginal on a quadriplegic. I told the ADON that I was going to look online for more information regarding getting a sedative to have the test. She said she'd reschedule.

In my research I learned some women find the transvaginal ultrasound so uncomfortable uncomfortable that they have to have a sedative before having it done. Even though the ADON says they will stop the test if it's painful, I don't think I need to go through that. I don't know that they'll stop the test. I just wonder they're doing it because that is the newest technology, and they want to use it.



No comments:

Post a Comment