Wednesday, October 4, 2017

They all learn to feed residents


The thing I'm most impressed with at this nursing home is that everyone is trained to feed residents, especially the managers. That says a lot about a company. Clearly, they do not want their managers to be too far removed, or feel that they are above the residents they care for.

The very first weekend I was surprised to see the administrator here feeding residents on a Saturday. In my over twenty-one years in nursing homes, that's the first time I've seen that.

I seen days when most of the managers are in the dining room feeding. Today was a prime example. The administrator, chaplain, dietary manager, and a speech therapist were all feeding at the same time. It seems like all the employees must feel like a team working together. I don't hear a lot of sniping, although I'm sure it happens. It just doesn't happen out in the open like it did at my previous facility.

This is also the first nursing home where I've lived that has had union. It doesn't appear to be any different from a nursing home without one. I would think that full-time employees are probably paying union dues.

This facility is also pretty quiet. There is no loud music playing in the hallways. Not many residents have their TVs turned up loudly, but, there are a few who do.

I hear no yelling by staff or residents in the hallways. I heard an awful lot of it at my previous facility. So, this place has served as a respite.

It appears that all the employees:, nurses, therapists, aides, dietary staff, and housekeepers being busy working together for a common goal.

I think watching workers working, but not complaining about it, is uplifting. It makes me feel better about living my life here.




No comments:

Post a Comment