Monday, October 16, 2017

My dental dilemma


I saw a nursing home dentist once, and didn't like it. When  he told me I needed several cavities filled, I called my dentist, went there, and learned I didn't need all of those teeth filled. My dentist told me to go to a private dentist near me. He felt I would get better care than from the mobile dentist.

Ever since I was disabled at nineteen, my dentist warned me not to have dental work done while I was in my wheelchair. He said it could further injure my neck. I decided to heed what he said. That's why I found a dentist across the street from my first facility and saw him, until I went on Medicaid.

The Medicaid dentist was eight miles away. Usually, a friend took me. But sometimes the medical transportation aide took me. Going to the dentist could be difficult for me. Some offices have dental cubicles have little room for me, two aides, and my power chair.

When I moved to my second facility, I could afford to hire a driver to take me out. When my driver took me to the dentist, one of the staff, or two, helped with the transfer.

After I turned sixty-five, I could no longer hire drivers. When the facility transported me the dentist said two aides had to accompany me to transfer me into the dentist chair. I was pleased my second facility willingly drove me and sent another aide along to my dental appointments.

I'm at my third facility, and it looks like going to an outside dentist might be impossible. Today, I was scheduled to see the dentist. I sat and waited and my pickup time went by and no one came. None of the staff could tell me what happened.

The aide who organizes transportation came in and I asked him if I'd missed my appointment. He said the dentist said I couldn't come there if I could not transfer into the dental chair by myself. I reminded him that I had told social services that I needed two aides to accompany me to transfer me into and out of the dental chair. I didn't understand why they made the dental appointment.

Upset about the situation, I went crying to my room. I wondered why a dentist would require such a thing, when I've been going there for seven years. If I had been the medical transportation aide scheduler, I would never have repeated what that dentist's office said.

Later, another aide came down and told me that this facility won't send two aides along to transfer me. She said I'd have to see the mobile dentist who comes to the facility.

But, I still couldn't understand why the transportation aide forgot my needs and scheduled an appointment that couldn't be kept.

I wonder if this can be worked out and maybe I can go to the community dentist.. If it can't be worked out. I may be destined to see  the mobile dentist.






No comments:

Post a Comment