Monday, October 23, 2017

Writing about involuntary discharge


For the last several days I have been writing drafts for my freelance blog about my recent involuntary discharge. The first one I wrote quite quickly. But after I went back I realized it wasn't right. It didn't quite say what I wanted it to say. I thought I wanted to explain what happened, thank my caregivers, and declare I would always be honest about the care I expected from nursing homes.

Today I worked diligently to get a draft I liked. In the past few days I wrote six of them. However, when I went back to read them, I no longer liked what they had to say.

I don't want anyone at either of the facilities where I was involuntarily discharged to feel I had any malice toward them. I wanted them to know I tried my best and I thought they did too.

Though I would've liked to have detailed many of the things that happened before, during, and after the move to this facility because some were strange. But, in that draft I decided not to share them.

I wanted so badly to include in one of them that I hope someday nursing homes will no longer have to involuntarily discharge residents forcibly. Perhaps a government agency or a nonprofit can assist nursing homes to outplace residents who are causing trouble, or those the facility's feels should be in a different environment. Caring for facility residents can be impersonal. I've overheard conversations where nurses and aides talk about residents as though we are items in a warehouse.

I didn't think it was necessary to blame anybody for anything. I also didn't want to infer that I was to blame.

I wanted to be sure that the aides and nurses all knew, that I appreciated all of them, even those who weren't my favorites.

I'm wondering what I will do with the blog drafts that are no longer useful. I suppose they will go to the recycle bin in the sky. But maybe, I'll decide to keep them for posterity.

I wish I knew if this nursing home will work out for me. I don't even know what I would've picked if I'd picked one. I know I would have preferred a private room. However, even though my roommate incessantly watches TV here, I don't want to be in a room by myself.

Perhaps as things change, they still remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment