Saturday, October 21, 2017

Can I live for the one or two good days a week?


As good as yesterday was, this morning was awful. Weekends are never good in nursing homes anyway. But this one was outstanding in its not goodness.

Everything was late. But an aide did warn me that this morning would not be good, which I didn't want to hear. Last weekend we had four aides. This weekend we had three. Believe me, I noticed the difference.

I was again late getting my suppositories and couldn't get out of bed because there weren't enough aides to help me. I ended up soiling the diaper since I couldn't get up. I really wish the nurses could have helped get me up.

My call light was on for over an hour and they were too busy to come and answer it. I was seldom left without assistance at my previous two facilities. Oh, there were occasions when everything went wrong all at once, and I got left somewhere. But, usually, they tried to put me in a comfortable spot.

So, I ended up AGAIN sitting on the shower for two hours. I guess it could've been worse like the three hours I spent on it a week after I arrived. I really think it does something to my mind to be stranded in one place, with nothing to do, and unable to move. I'm sure they use something similar as a method to get information out of criminals and terrorists. I'm here to tell you that it would work.

The aides and nurses at this facility seldom get angry like they did at facility #2. There the aides and nurses frequently got upset with me if I was anxious because they couldn't get to me soon enough.

But early this morning I did pretty well. I didn't get upset. But, waiting kind of wears me down. I was shedding a few tears after lunch because I wanted to get to my desktop to have something to do.

After lunch, I rode up and down the hallways trying to keep myself moving and thinking of something other than the fact that I was stranded in my power chair.

The weekend manager was the Central Supply Guy. He was here this morning. Unfortunately, he's not one of the staff who's been trained to feed residents. If he could've fed residents, they'd have appreciated it.,

I wonder if any nursing home has a surefire backup plan for when they're shortstaffed on the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment