Sunday, October 29, 2017

Trying to get into the flow


After tomorrow I have been, at my third facility, for two months. I can't hardly believe it's been that long. But, the aides and nurses are still not familiar with my daily routine.

It's hard to remind them when I'm in the hallway. One aide has already said I follow them until I get what I want. But, I don't know what else to do.

It was a bad morning, after a bad night, after a bad afternoon. We were shortstaffed on all three.

But this morning, for some reason things moved along better than I thought they would. The residents, except for me, were finished eating in the dining room before 8:15 a.m..

I was told to go to the dining room and the lights were turned off. I don't know why anyone would do that when residents frequently go to the dining room.

I ended up being told that my breakfast tray was on the hall cart, and to just wait for my aide.

It worked out, I got fed by myself in the empty dining room. But it wasn't a loss because the aides ate their leftover breakfast while I was eating.

Then, instead of waiting an hour after breakfast to get to the bathroom. I had to wait almost two.

But most of the aides know I go to the bathroom after breakfast. After that, I had to get my teeth brushed, since there is no time to do it earlier.

I was waiting by the nurses station and my aide and another aide left to go to lunch. I asked if I could go to the bathroom. I was told I'd have to wait.

I told one of the nurses I really needed to go and asked if they wouldn't help me. I was kind of surprised when they said they would. An aide and two nurses followed me to my room.

I thought they put me in there at 10:30 a.m.

My call light was on and I still waited for twenty or thirty minutes. I decided to start to call "nurse".

Not long after my roommate came in and saw that I was in the bathroom. She reminded me lunch was being served early, and she said it was 11:20 a.m.

Then, she left to go tell someone I was still in the bathroom..

Soon after, my aide got me out of the bathroom and I made it to lunch.

It'd be great if they had hospitality aides, who could answer call lights. Then they could let the aides know which resident wants what. Then, maybe no one would get stuck.



No comments:

Post a Comment