Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Adjusting to facility #3


I came to this nursing home over six weeks ago. But I'm not quite moved in. No pictures or mementos are hung on the walls. In fact, I haven't even looked for the sticky hooks, easily removed, that will hold them,

Yesterday my sister, Janice helped me store my summer clothes. She put midweight pants and shirts along with a few pairs of winter weather clothing in my closet.

It's so different having a conventional closet. This facility has a typical couple's closet like those in most middle-class homes. I'm grateful to have more closet space than at facility #2.

Janice put all my clothing away in tape closed clear bags. The only surprise we found is I saw one of my facility #2 roommate's tops in a tote in my van. It got picked up my mistake...

Since my heavier tops seemed to be missing, my sister looked in the stored totes in my minivan, and found the tops.

I have to say that I hate moving. But I guess it did give me an opportunity to get rid of things I no longer wear, need, or use.

For some reason living in facility #3 feels so temporary. When I moved two facility #2, I was already labeled as having "behaviors" and they treated me like a mental case.

I'm still getting used to the way this facility is managed, then there are some difficulties. When I go to the dining room, I don't roll-on in., I stand like a slave who is waiting for my master's order..

I just wonder if I have posttraumatic stress disorder because I was treated like a mental patient. I have freedom at facility #3, that I didn't have at facility #2. Pop is free for the having in the dining room, now that I no longer drink it. We residents can order food out whenever we want. It's not confined to to a particular day of the week.

I'm also allowed to go outside with friends and just walk around the parking lot. We haven't done that yet. We're still in the habit I'm not going out because facility #2 in a "not so good" in a larger city.

Maybe soon I will find my niche in this facility, and then maybe I'll feel more like I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment